Friday, July 30, 2010

Haiku My Heart: "Abrazo"/ Photo by Michael Ioanidi

Abrazo by Mikhail Ioanidi

 A Cold Rush of Wind
Invites the Warmth of Embrace
My Gift to Myself.
--Noelle Renee


     I remember, as a child, spending a lot of time alone. I was oftenshy and took great pleasure in reading and in writing poetry. It wasdifficult for other children to understand. At the age of ten, I wrotea poem about a brown and white spotted cow named Bessie and submittedit to a section for children's poetry in a local newspaper called ThePasadena Star News. It won first prize of $25.00. It was a hugeachievement for a ten-year-old; one can only imagine. Even now I havenot forgotten what pride I took in seeing my poem about dear Bessie inthe newspaper. When I see the photo of this beautiful child with herarms about herself, with such open joy in her face, I think of thelittle gifts, like this,that we can offer ourselves: a memory of onegreat day that somehow encompasses much of who we are and evokes thatof which we are truly capable. 
     Billie Holiday (née Eleanora GoughMcKay) had a very difficult life and her phenomenal talent andlegendary recordings remind me of the inner strength and profoundbeauty of the human spirit. I give you Eleanora Gough McKay, theindomitable "Lady Day" singing "Embraceable You." Give yourself a hug. 






–Noelle Renee (all rights to Haiku reserved by author).



Ioanidi photo from klimtbalan.blogspot.com
Lady Day (Billie Holiday) Embraceable You

No comments:

Post a Comment